Monday, September 15, 2008

Cari's 1st Entry in 21st Century Cirriculum

So this is what the 21st century looks like. 8) My 8th graders might be impressed.

I couldn't quite believe we were starting another course so quickly and I still can't. It has only been two weeks and the school year is already in full throttle with piles of marking and editing, and then there is this work of my own. I am already beginning to feel overloaded.

The first class, just sitting and listening was a good reminder as to how my own students must have felt those first days of school, where, despite my best efforts I did the bulk of the of the talking, reveiwing rules and expectations. It is not easy getting back into the swing of things.

Buffy St. Marie was interesting, though I certainly wished it was not in the midst of the rest of the program. I particularly liked her line about "Let the IT in you shine through." I like the idea of IT whatever that IT may be. I think that that is in fact the essence of what I do, even though I use different words for the IT everytime. I think I often refer to it as each individuals absolute best.

3 comments:

roman matwyczuk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
roman matwyczuk said...

An interesting question, Cari. I believe a 21st curriculum will have a greater emphasis on digital literacy. It will incorporate learning principles such as metalevel thinking about semiotic domains, amplification of input, situated meaning and will involve active and critical learning, just to mention a few. It will also entail more digital game based learning. Why shouldn't the kids have fun while learning?

Lorelei Bunkowsky said...

Hi Cari,

I was thinking about your last statement about an individual's personal best being their inner "it" that shines through. What I wonder about is how we push for, evaluate and put our own judgements on that child and if we sometimes don't allow for the child to cultivate what is really important to them. Is it just what we deem as "their gifts"?

Just throwing that out there.

Lorelei